Wednesday, April 3, 2024

The Rewind Machine (opus 1, Us Undefined)


I looked up the word pine, 

Asked Siri, hoping 

she’d have only one definition, 

“fresh scented trees, often found on Alpine slopes,” 

the kind coveted by 

monied, tall Europeans swishing between pretty death traps on sticks, 

boards or wheel-free wieldy mobiles 

avoiding injury or worse: 

breaking altogether. 


I didn’t want the other definition, because if undefined, if ignored, 

I could spend another 25, 30 years, 

avoiding its tickle 

at the back of my throat. 

Its tingle at the base of my spine, intoxicating, icy, spicy kundalini. 


But looking up at you:

My pretty rewind machine 

You are the perfect height, eyes locked perfect fit, bodies entangled

perfect scent, fresh and rugged


1793 miles and less than two days

is a gap 

that changes nothing 

When I remember standing 

next to you (or laying) 

hands clasped. 


It’s pure 

like snow immaculately, immortally 

dressing those trees’ spiked jade needles, releasing winter pine’s

intoxicating beauty,

Beloved.


In this most undefined us,

I admit our tree’s other definition 

does exist 

Across language barriers, accessing freer lifetimes within us, the lifelines between us 


And so I suppose it’s true 

I opine that I pine for you…



No comments:

Post a Comment